I’d like to announce the official release of the updated Obfuscate E-mail plugin (v3.0) for WordPress.
Obfuscate e-mail addresses that appear as text in your blog in an effort to deter e-mail harvesting spammers while retaining the appearance and functionality of hyperlinks.
The plugin’s official homepage is located at :
This release introduces an admin options page for the plugin to configure various options. You can now opt to only obscure the ‘@’ and ‘.’ characters in e-mails if you want. Author and commenter email fields are now obfuscated as well. The obfuscation algorithm was altered and improved. There have also been various coding improvements. The release also brings with it full compatibility with WordPress 2.3+ and 2.5 (with continued support for 2.0+, 2.1+ and 2.2+).
This update is part of coffee2code’s 14 Days of Plugins (updated plugin #4).
Comments welcome on this post for this version of the plugin. Comments will be closed once this release has been superseded by another.
Read on for a detailed ChangeLog of the release.
These are the detailed changes, which may or may not make sense to you depending on your familiarity with the previous features and internals of the plugin.
- Overhauled and added a bunch of new code
- Encapsulated a majority of functionality in a class
- Added admin options page for the plugin, under Options → Obfuscate E-mail (or in WP 2.5: Settings → Obfuscate E-mail) so that default e-mail obfuscation can be easily configured via WP admin
- Packaged plugin into its own directory, now including a readme.txt and screenshots
- Maintained (though renamed) existing primary functions (which have remained non-classed) for others to use directly
- Added options to define replacements for “@” and “.” characters in e-mails for partial obfuscation
- Filter ‘get_the_excerpt’ instead of ‘the_excerpt’
- Additionally filter ‘the_author_email’ and ‘get_comment_author_email’
- trim() before returning instead of substr()
- Tweaked description, installation instructions, and examples
- Updated copyright date and version to 2.0
- Added readme.txt and screenshot image to distribution zip
- Tested compatibility with WP 2.3+ and 2.5